Reality of NonHuman & Vampire Identities

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Reality of NonHuman & Vampire Identities

A support, education and social group for & about Therians, Otherkin, Human-Living/Modern Vampires, and other related Identity Groups or Subcultures.

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» List(s) of Resources/References
Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 EmptySun Apr 21, 2019 11:41 am by A.Nightside

» Norwegian Dragonkin Gathering
Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 EmptySat Apr 20, 2019 11:24 am by A.Nightside

» Reality Group's Glossary
Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am by A.Nightside

» Reference Requests?
Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 pm by A.Nightside

» The Otherkin -- Fourtean Times Magazine -- Emma McNeil -- 2012
Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 9:05 pm by A.Nightside

» Around the World
Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 5:53 pm by A.Nightside

» Videos - Miscellaneous Sources
Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 4:51 pm by A.Nightside

» History of the Therian Community - House of Chimeras
Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2019 10:59 am by A.Nightside

» Other FAQs
Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 1:49 pm by A.Nightside

Top posting users this month

No user

Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013

A.Nightside
    A.Nightside
    Elder

Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013 Empty Letting Go of Therianthropy For Good - April 2, 2013

Post by A.Nightside Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:27 pm

Source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Snippet:
    Lupa wrote:So now here I am in 2013, and I have a confession to make: I no longer identify as a therianthrope, and I haven’t for quite some time. I’ve sat with that reality for a while, checking in with myself and making sure it wasn’t just a phase. But no, it just doesn’t fit any more; it’s not a framework that explains me. There’s still a piece of me that I feel resonates more with wolf than human, but at this point I don’t think it’s anything more than a bit of creative personal narrative, part of the ongoing myth I tell about myself. For me, the wolf is a metaphor, a piece of spirituality internalized. Sure, I’ve always leaned toward the personal mythology hypothesis of “what are Otherkin”, but the idea that I am fundamentally not human on some level just doesn’t fit. I am a human animal, 100%, just with a particular connection to the idea of “wolfness”. Call it an inner connection to my totem, or a super-charged “favorite animal”; either of those fit me better than “therian”, or “shifter”, or any of the other terms that set animal-people apart from humanity as a whole.

Don’t get me wrong; I don’t regret exploring myself in the Otherkin framework. For the time, well over a decade, it was what fit best in explaining that resonance with “Wolf”. It was a fascinating interpretation of reality that allowed me an outlet for exploring imagination and flexible identity in a way that is usually reserved only for the play of children. Sure, there are those few who take it to the point of impaired functioning and enabling of some unhealthy mental patterns, but there are also plenty of people who have an Other identity and still manage to be quite well integrated into consensus reality, even if they aren’t quite happy about the current state of affairs. If nothing else, interpreting my wolfness as therianthropy was a fun way to take play seriously, if that makes sense.

See source link for Full blog post.

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 3:07 am